Baby Steps

When you decide and I mean really decide to change your lifestyle, you don't just say okay I am going to start on such and such of day, or I will begin tomorrow.  That just doesn't work, at least it didn't work for me.  I do not know how many times i said tomorrow, or next week or this date.... The beginning of last year I began to work out more at our local YMCA and explore more of the machinery.  Then it was black Friday and we had been eyeing up the #applewatch for quite some time, but with kids we just couldn't' justify getting one.  Now the sales on black Friday were not excellent but it was still discounted and we decided to just to it.  It would be our Christmas and Anniversary presents to each other.  This was by far the best decision we have made in regards to our health.  I firmly believe that our apple watches have helped us and me to be where I am now.  The first month we didn't do much just normal exercise, but then we realized we could close our rings, compete with each other and others, along with getting rewards for doing certain things each month.  This alone is and was a huge motivator and game changer.  Since about mid to late January there hasn't been a day I haven't closed all 3 rings!  

Now we didn't make this as a new years resolution at all.  We just simply woke up and decided today is the day we are going to change our lifestyle, it just so happened to be January 1. I started with walking more, and since I live in Wisconsin we can't always walk outside in the middle of January!  So on the days that the Y was out of the question for whatever reason we started to do laps and get steps inside of our house.  Now our house is not very big at all, but it has a nice circle that goes through the playroom, living room, and dining room.  We found out that if you go around it 28 times it equals a mile. So instead of not working out because we couldn't go outside, or couldn't get to the Y we made an effort to get something done inside.  We did this most of the winter.  Walking slowly turned into jogging then running our inside "laps" until finally we could get back outside again.  Now on the days we really didn't feel like walking in circles we turned to workout DVD's such as #JillianMichaels along with free HIIT videos on youtube and the good old WII fit. 

We did this for a few months and then I decided I wanted to get into running.  Now I wasn't fast, and I wasn't that good.  But I kept going and I kept a constant pace and what matters most is it felt good!  I started slowly 1 mile for awhile, then upped it a 1/2 mile at a time.  Just last Sunday i surprised myself and ran 6.1 miles and wasn't really winded, but man my knees and hips were a little upset with me.  I figure it isn't how fast I can run, as long as I finish. Like that saying goes, "you are lapping everyone on the couch." It also helps to have friends that run as well.  They push you, even when you are not running together.  I have finally taken my middle of the journey picture and will be posting that soon (once i can get the courage to do so.) If you have any questions by all means just ask.  My IG account is 5k_momma and you can follow my wellness journey on there as well. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dive On In....

2020 - WOW

2018 wrap up