Balancing Act
Everyone knows there is not enough time in a day it seems to get everything we want/need to get done, done. So how do we find that happy balance, and I say happy and not perfect because i don't think there ever will be a perfect balance in life. We are all getting pulled in multiple directions; kids, work, school, house, fitness, you name it. Now I am far from finding a happy balance, but I think I am on the right track. I have realized that if housework doesn't get done, it is okay... the world will not end. Recently, I have taken a step back every morning when I wake up and write down what I want to accomplish that day. Now I know from experience to not make that list terribly long because I don't want to set myself up for failure. I mean come on, I have an 2 almost 3 year old at home and sometimes playing with her is more important than vacuuming and mopping.
I downloaded a free app from Microsoft called To-Do. It has been helpful in planning my day. It has categories you can set up. I have my big to do list, the today to do list, grocery list, blog ideas, books to read and movies to watch so far. It is nice because when I get an idea, or think about a grocery item I can plug it right into my phone where it will stay until i check it off. Now it's only been a week since i have been using this, but so far it has really helped. Plus I am a very visual person and I love seeing to-do lists crossed off at the end of the day because it helps me feel accomplished!
Luckily for me, I can leave work at work, and I know that is not possible for everyone. I am an on-call Medical Assistant so I punch in and punch out, which help tremendously with the balancing act. Now that the kids are getting older, they are involved in a lot more activities, so we have to sit down and really look at our schedule before sign ups, and decide what they do or do not want to be involved in anymore. I am a firm believer in having the kids try sports, and activities out, but if they do not like them we will not force them to continue. However, if they really do enjoy them we will do everything in our power to get them there. With this being said, most nights my workouts are done at night, once the kids are in bed. Thankfully they go to bed at a decent time and are usually asleep at 8 if not sooner. At this time I either go for a run if its a run night, or do my cross training exercises. Now this may not be for everyone, but this is the balance I have found that works with our family. It will probably be harder now that it is getting darker out earlier, so I will have to make adjustments on, do I run outside or just head to the Y and get on the treadmill.
Now the hardest part for me is finding that right balance with your spouse. I mean, you see and talk to each other all day sometimes but do you have time to yourselves when you can just relax and catch up and not be rushed. You need to sit down and make time to sit and listen about each others day. This is the one we are working on the most. We started by making sure we have a family dinner, and no one is excused until everyone is done. This gives us an opportunity to not only talk to each other but also the kids. Then once the kids are in bed, and our exercise is done we make time for each other. Whether we are sitting talking to each other or watching a tv show/movie as long as we are together we love that time. We do need to work on not staying up so late though ;)
Hopefully these ideas will spark ideas for you, and as always if you have any suggestions or comments drop a line! Have a great week!
I downloaded a free app from Microsoft called To-Do. It has been helpful in planning my day. It has categories you can set up. I have my big to do list, the today to do list, grocery list, blog ideas, books to read and movies to watch so far. It is nice because when I get an idea, or think about a grocery item I can plug it right into my phone where it will stay until i check it off. Now it's only been a week since i have been using this, but so far it has really helped. Plus I am a very visual person and I love seeing to-do lists crossed off at the end of the day because it helps me feel accomplished!
Luckily for me, I can leave work at work, and I know that is not possible for everyone. I am an on-call Medical Assistant so I punch in and punch out, which help tremendously with the balancing act. Now that the kids are getting older, they are involved in a lot more activities, so we have to sit down and really look at our schedule before sign ups, and decide what they do or do not want to be involved in anymore. I am a firm believer in having the kids try sports, and activities out, but if they do not like them we will not force them to continue. However, if they really do enjoy them we will do everything in our power to get them there. With this being said, most nights my workouts are done at night, once the kids are in bed. Thankfully they go to bed at a decent time and are usually asleep at 8 if not sooner. At this time I either go for a run if its a run night, or do my cross training exercises. Now this may not be for everyone, but this is the balance I have found that works with our family. It will probably be harder now that it is getting darker out earlier, so I will have to make adjustments on, do I run outside or just head to the Y and get on the treadmill.
Now the hardest part for me is finding that right balance with your spouse. I mean, you see and talk to each other all day sometimes but do you have time to yourselves when you can just relax and catch up and not be rushed. You need to sit down and make time to sit and listen about each others day. This is the one we are working on the most. We started by making sure we have a family dinner, and no one is excused until everyone is done. This gives us an opportunity to not only talk to each other but also the kids. Then once the kids are in bed, and our exercise is done we make time for each other. Whether we are sitting talking to each other or watching a tv show/movie as long as we are together we love that time. We do need to work on not staying up so late though ;)
Hopefully these ideas will spark ideas for you, and as always if you have any suggestions or comments drop a line! Have a great week!


Comments
Post a Comment