Listen to our Bodies

     You know how in one of my previous posts I mentioned how I went 6.1 miles, well I thought i would push myself to see how far I could go.  I ended up running 10.1 miles.  Now I was so excited that I didn't think of the consequences it would have on my body.  In the long run, that was a stupid idea!  However, as with everything in life we can chose to learn from our mistakes, and that is exactly what I did and am doing.  After that I had a friend tell me about the nike run club app ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nike-run-club/id387771637  ) which will help you train healthy for any type of run.  So I have decided to start training for a half marathon!  Yup that is right, you heard me correctly, and yes you are right I may just be a tad crazy!  So this app so far is awesome ( just a few hiccups with the distance and time between that app and my apple watch).  I am able to adjust which days are my run days, but basically I have two days a week where I run short distances and do more endurance type running, and then one day where I run more mileage.  This is giving my body the rest it needs in order to achieve my goals.
     On my non-running days, I hop on the bike, do some yoga and also strength training.  I have also learned what a foam roller is!  After pushing myself too far my knees could really feel it and I was having some IT issues. A few friends told me to look up some foam rolling exercises and I went out and bought one right away.  It was weird at first, but man after I was done it really did help.  So I am going to incorporate IT stretching before and after runs, along with using my foam roller on days that I am not running to keep my IT band, along with the other muscles in my body loose to hopefully prevent any other injuries.  The last thing I need right now is an injury, especially one that could have been prevented, to slow me down if not stop me from achieving my new goal.


     It's funny, when I first started jogging, which then turned into running and a 4 mi and 5k I told people I would never be a marathon runner.  It wasn't until I figured out what a HUGE stress release it was for me.  Now I obviously still worry about the wear and tear of it all, which is why I have a lot of people to help me out in terms of remaining healthy and going about running in a safe manor.

     See you on the road!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dive On In....

2020 - WOW

2018 wrap up