Why do you run?
I get asked this a lot. Why do you run, how do you like running, what made you begin running? The list goes on. I had to take a step back and ask myself that question. Why do I run? I run because it clears my head. I run because it helps me get back into nature. I run because of my health. I run because I love the alone time, to reflect on the day or life in general. I run because I love it! Since I have joined the running community it has opened the doors to a whole new world. I never realized how big of a community it was and how genuine everyone is and has been. I didn’t wake up one morning and start running miles, I started out slowly. I’ve had a few people ask me how I started. Now you either like running or you don’t, or I guess you could learn to like it. I started by walking, then jogging, then doing a coach to 5k free app on my phone. I was so scared to run outside because I was so used to running on a treadmill. However, now I hate running on a treadmill and running outside is that most amazing feeling ever, especially in the light rain! Another reason I love to run outdoors is you see so many other runners and it usually never fails even though most of the time I have no idea who they are, we always wave and say hi as we pass.
Now with running also comes a lot of new aches and pains. This is common sense to some of us, however muscles that I didn’t know I had hurt. But it is usually a good hurt, like I can tell I am getting stronger not hurt like I can’t run anymore. I am in the process of doing some research on compression sleeves to help with my calves in hopes I can stay ahead of the game and stay healthy for my ½ marathon in October! I have also decided to get a hydration vest, because for me any run longer than 7-8 miles my little 16 oz water bottle just doesn't cut it, especially on the really hot days!!
My goal next year is to run a race every month, mainly 5K, or 5 miles with maybe 1-2 half marathons. I have my list started, just need to sign up when it's time! My total miles for the month of August was 53 miles, with my last run being today at 9 miles. Man did that add up fast! Next month i want to build on that, but will do as the #nikerunclub app tells me to.
Ever since the news broke about Mollie, I have had numerous people ask me, "are you still going to run alone?", "will you still run outside?" The answer to those and other questions, is YES. Us women should not be afraid to be outdoors, we should not be afraid to run outside at all. What we do need to do though is be aware of our surroundings, possibly take a few defense classes. For me personally, when i run the trails I run with one ear bud out, I also have pepper spray and the app I use will alert my wife if I am idle for more than 5 minutes, along with having a siren sound on my actual phone. What happened to Mollie was horrible, but also an eye opener for all of us runners out there. I have run plenty of #milesformollie along with the rest of the running community. We will also continue to run for mollie and try not to be scared. I have to admit though, I am more nervous running the trails when it isn't as open or there are not a lot of people around. But I made a choice to not let that affect my run, but to actually push me farther.

Comments
Post a Comment