Half marathon

Well...as you can tell I have fallen off the blog bandwagon. Life has gotten so busy but it’s my hope with the new year around the corner I can get back at it. Or at least post once or twice a month!

So when I last left you I was training for my first half marathon!  Training went well and I felt ready...still very nervous, but ready physically. The morning of the race it was cold!!! 28 degrees to be exact so it took some encouragement to get out of a nice warm car and start warming up!!





It took 4 miles before I got feeling back into my toes, but otherwise I was warm and even took my gloves off... so i am glad I listened to the pros about dressing 15 degrees warmer!

It's been said things do not always go as planned, and that is true on race day as well.  I was almost to mile 5 and my phone died, or at least I thought it did.  I thought it was because we were in the boonies, but in hindsight I think that it was too cold and just shut off.  So from mile 5 until 11 i didn't listen to anything (which I thought was never possible because I love my music) I listened to the nature sounds, looked at all of the leaves changing and took in our lovely fall Wisconsin weather.  Now when it happened I was frustrated, even mad, but once I got back into nature, I realized this is what I needed in order to reflect on my journey over the past few months of training.  At mile 11 I warmed up my phone to try to turn it on for the remaining 2.1 miles and sure enough it turned on with 70% battery life left!

Now I had three goals for my first half marathon:
1. Don't come in last... preferably
2. Try not to walk if possible
3. Keep it under an 11 minute mile

I crushed all of these goals!  The only time I stopped was at the water stations and that was to just chug a cup of Gatorade, then I got right back to it.  I came in overall 65/83, females 35/51 and my age range 23/29.  I finished in 2:22:16.  I was in awe when I crossed the finish line and had tears the moment I saw it.  Tears of happiness, tears of joy, tears proving that all of my hard work paid off and I, the girl who used to hate running actually finished a half marathon.




So for those out there reading this who are new to running, or are contemplating starting but thinking you will never be able to do it.  Do not let your voice in your head stop you from trying... you never know you might just run a marathon one day...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dive On In....

2020 - WOW

2018 wrap up